The Alaska Afterschool Network is embarking on exciting new work to expand the amount of STEM opportunities in afterschool programs. Join the Network now as a STEM Afterschool Expansion VISTA!
High quality afterschool programs have been shown to increase student academic performance, behavioral improvements and are a factor in supporting regular school attendance. These programs also provide excellent opportunities for youth to explore new topics without the typical time constraints that occur during the school day.
To increase these types of opportunities for children and youth throughout the state, better coordination, increased partnerships, and additional funding are all necessary. The STEM VISTA will work to build partnerships with STEM-related businesses, industry partners, higher education officials, and schools to increase coordination and improve the quality of afterschool programs.
The STEM VISTA will also help to coordinate professional development opportunities for afterschool providers throughout Alaska to improve the quality of the workforce and ultimately the quality of afterschool STEM programming throughout the state. AAN is located in Anchorage, AK.
- Education award ($5,815) or cash stipend ($1,500)
- Monthly stipend ($1,333)
- Relocation (up to $1,000) and settling in allowance ($550) for relocating members
- Child care assistance
- Health benefits
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Must be a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident of the U.S.
- A Bachelor’s Degree is preferred
- Significant experience with community service and/or non-profit organization work
- Must be available to serve full-time for one year
To learn more about the position and to apply, click here.